In the last few weeks, I’ve posted 2 posts on Education & India (Part 1 & Part 2). There, I had said that I’d be posting a version of the draft I had created of the above titled post, a few years ago.
It was 28th or 29th April, 2009 when, in a seminar, in a group of 10, we were told to come up with a plan and layout of our dream school. We made a rough version of what is posted below. On coming back from the seminar, in the few days that followed, I realized the importance of that project and how much it meant to me. For the same, I completed what I had started as a competition, in the seminar and the outcome is as below.
My Dream School
In India, and for that matter all the worldover, schools are also known as the ‘Temples of Knowledge’. But, in India,temples are built after consulting architects but not the schools. Thus, today,I decided to give my dream school a real pictorial representation with thenecessary documentation.
My dream school is a two-storey buildingand technologically advanced. It has all the modern facilities that the worldhas never seen before. It is a school every student would want to be in. Thisschool is a secondary school i.e. for students in 9th to 12thstandards. Everything in the school is in the interior so that bad weatherconditions do not affect learning. The school will not have air conditionersbecause we believe the students need to be taught to help in solving theproblem of global warming from the schooling days itself to create awareness.The timing of the school will be from 9a.m. to 4 p.m. with a maximum of 5lectures a day.
The ground floor has the classrooms forstandards 9th and 10th along with the locker rooms ofstudents belonging to these classes. The entrance to the main school buildingis also through the ground floor. There is also the Audio Visual room, dininghall, auditorium, science laboratory, and the basketball, volleyball, andbadminton courts on the ground level.
The first floor has classrooms forstandards 11th and 12th. There are also locker rooms forthese students. The tennis court and arrangements for table tennis, chess,carom, and other indoor games are also made on this floor along with a separateroom for gym. There is a swimming pool and a cyber room on this floor.
The second floor has a football field and agarden. There are also changing rooms for boys and girls who play footballhere.
Everything is described in the pointshereon:
1) The whole school building is a Wi-Fizone with 802.11n wireless network and an internet speed of 2 gb/sec providinginformation to the students whenever they require without any kind of delays.Each student will be given a username and the student can access the resourceson the network if and only if the student logs in from his username aftergiving the confirmatory password.
2) Teaching in Classrooms: The teaching inthe classrooms of this school will be through video conferencing and videotelecast on the laptops/tablets of every child, thus making the environmentmore private so that each student can learn according to his abilities to copeup a subject. It also ensures that the same teacher can teach and record allthe lessons for a particular standard and then be with the students to solvetheir doubts, if they have any, with no worry about her next class. If astudent misses a particular class, he can approach the cyber room coordinatorand have the last class broadcast to him again personally, during break hoursor post-college hours so that he/she doesn’t feel the burden of studying a stepabove directly. Each lecture will be of the duration of an hour with a break often minutes between two lectures. The attendance in these classrooms will betaken by swiping fingers. There will be one fingerprint scanner on each side ofthe door to each room in the school and the students, teachers and other staffwill have to swipe before they actually enter the class.
3) Girls & Boys Locker Rooms: Thelocker rooms for girls and boys are provided separately and that too on thebasis of the standard they are studying in. The students can keep all theirstationary and laptops in these lockers so that they don’t have to bring thesefrom home daily. There are also restrooms in these locker rooms. There is alsoprovision of showers in the locker rooms so that students can freshen upthemselves before heading for the next class.
|Ground Floor Layout – My Dream School|
4) Dining Hall: The dining hall of theschool will have various kinds of food available, but, no two cuisines will beavailable on the same day. It will cover a variety of parts of meal likesalads, starters, beverages, soups, main course, desserts, etc. The studentscan have the food of their choice and preference. They won’t have to payanything extra for the food. However, the service can be accessed only in theafternoon lunch time and not in any other break.
5) Basketball, Volleyball & BadmintonCourts: Sports builds the body and that’s the reason there are variousarrangements for sports in this school. In their sports periods, the studentswill have access to all the different sports arrangements in the school andthey have to decide what they want to do in that period. This room on theground level has arrangements for students aspiring to play basketball,volleyball and badminton. We also have a court of beach volleyball with beachsand on it. There are also coaches available, two for each sport; so that onecan teach the game and at the same time the other can be the referee and takecare that students don’t get indulged into foul play and play the game in allits spirit. Also, there will be other ground staff so that the courts andequipment is maintained properly.
6) Science Laboratory: All the laboratoryapparatus will be made of borosil so that it doesn’t break easily and is heatresistant. The laboratory is spacious with enough apparatus to suffice 50students at a time. Also, the teaching for the science practical’s will be donethrough video conferencing in the same way as other classes but an attendantwill be available in the laboratory with sufficient knowledge of theexperiments in case students need help.
7) Auditorium: The auditorium of the schoolis spacious with a seating arrangement of 1000 people and extends onto thefirst floor. There are two large LED television sets, on either side of thestage, which will display the events happening on the stage live. Also, theauditorium will have the best possible audio surround system and more than 15speakers on each side. It will also have a hi-def video camera to record whatis happening and broadcast it simultaneously.
8) Audio Visual Room: The Audio Visual Roomof this school is the place where all the data of the auditorium will bereceived and processed. It also has a beautiful LED television and multiplecomputers with onboard video cards to process videos fast. The recordings forthe various lectures will also be done in the studio in this room. The peoplesitting in the room for editing will be those who know how to use videosoftware as well as have knowledge of at least one subject so that they canunderstand the lecture and edit it accordingly.
9) Tennis Court, Table Tennis, Carom andChess: The facilities for lawn tennis and the other indoor games mentioned willbe at par with the world’s best. The information regarding coaches and otherstaff is as in the previous sports room.
|First Floor Layout – My Dream School|
10) Swimming Pool: The swimming pool on thefirst level is a 10-lane swimming pool and also has depths of up to 11 feet. Therewill be four life guards in the premises of the pool at all times. They willalso coach students and help them if they need any. There are also changing rooms for males and females separately in the room.
11) Gym: This is the room that can helpstudents to maintain their body well and also is useful for warm-up forstudents who are representing the school in different sports in sportingevents. The gym will be very well-equipped with paraphernalia suiting theteenagers.
12) Cyber Room: This is the hub of thewhole school. The server of the whole school and all the data of the schoolwill be stored in this room. The room will also serve as the transmissioncenter of the Wi-Fi network of the school. All the student records will bestored in this room. The entrance to this room also requires the retinal scanof the school employees and any student is restricted in this premises.
|Second Floor Layout – My Dream School|
13) Football and hockey field: There arearrangements for these games on the second level with a sun-roof on the top sothat even during the rains, they can enjoy the games. The school hopes tonurture each student in at least one sport so that he excels in it. The coachesand ground staff are also available here.
14) Garden: The garden of the school wouldbe maintained by the science club of the school. Along with regular plantspecies, there would be plants grown with the old Japanese art of bonsai.
15) Board: The school will be affiliated tothe state board so that it ensures covering most of the necessary topics andclears all of them right from the basics.
16) Energy: The premises will be usingenergy provided through solar panels situated on the roof of the footballfield. The hot water required in the bathrooms in gym and locker rooms will beheated too through solar panels.
17) Water: The water used in the building will be recycled and purified to reuseagain. The drinking water in the coolers will be UV and RO purified.
18) Notice Boards: The notices of variousevents happening in the school will be conveyed to the students by the mediumof notice boards. These will be put up outside each room conducting the event.For example, the sports camp notices will be put up outside the respectivesport room. The auditions for the dramas, etc, will be put up outside theauditorium. The notices will be available together in one place i.e. the‘Notices’ section of the login page which they must open to login to theirschool accounts.
19) Newspaper: The school will have aweekly newspaper service with the reports of events of the school, the seven mostimportant news of the world, one interview with a renowned personality. It willbe managed by the school students along with the help from one teachercompletely devoted to the cause. Also, the editor to the newspaper will be oneof the student members of the newspaper club.
19) Annual Magazine: The school willpublish an annual magazine emphasizing on happenings of the entire year withreports, articles and drawings made by the students themselves.
20) Houses: The school will be divided infour houses on equal basis and the students will have competitions on varioustopics throughout the year. The house which is the overall winner of thesecompetitions according to the points will be given a trophy on the annual dayof the school. There will be different criterions like academics, sports,co-curricular subjects, and other competitions. The individual criterionwinners will also be given trophies.
21) Student Council: There will be arepresentative to the student body known as the student council. It will have alot of power and can change the way many things happen in the school to theneed of the students, but, in consultation with the teachers and principals.The student council will have three levels of representatives. A) SchoolCaptains and School Vice-Captains and Sports Captains and Sports Vice-Captains,B) House Captains, C) Assistant House Captains. The duty of the house captainsis to nurture talent within the house with the help of their assistants. Theschool captains will cater to the needs of the school and the sports captainsto the problems of the school with respect to sports.
22) School Events: Annual Cultural Day willbe one of the most of the important events in the school. Various felicitationswill be done on that day. The school will have Annual Science Exhibition heldevery year. This will be the chance for aspiring scientists to showcase theirtalents.
23) Library: The college library will be anextensive e-book library supported by hard cover copies.
24) Principal’s room: Not very differentfrom the principal’s rooms around the world already.
25) Staff room: For the teachers, basicamenities.
26) Office: For the accounts and the otherclerical records.
P. S.: The last 4 points, were added during a recent revision and so do not find a place in the layouts, anywhere.